Thursday, April 19, 2007

An unfortunate adieu to blogspot!!

A writer treats his work like his children, loves it beyond the words that constitute it and more than anything else, is extra possessive about it. I might not be a big time writer, but I love my scribblings equally possessively. But some people just don’t seem to understand that.
Well today one such very expected and yet alarmingly disheartening incident happened. I logged into my Orkut account and saw 53 unread messages. Scanning through the usual – earn more than 50000 per month, jobs for recent graduates, I invite you to join this community messages; my eyes fell on a message from some XYZ, I don’t even know. And in the body of the message was a poem titled ‘Wake up...’
And as if the little voice in my head was shaken awake, it asked – doesn’t it sound like your poem. And duh!!! It was!!
I wonder if some people have heard of term plagiarism. Forget copying as is, would it harm if you acknowledged the writer for his/her efforts by including the name? I am nobody to talk about morals and ethics, but the least I could do is pull back all my scribblings from this site. Just when I was thinking of posting more articles!!

3 comments:

Bharat said...

I understand the disappointment and therez nothing worse than not quoting someone's work! But, as you said, "writing is the best way to express yourself to yourself. That satifaction should spill on YOU when you write"...I wld add to it, most of us had so much pleasure and inexplicable joy reading your work as much you had the satisfaction. Just a trough in someone else personality shouldnt deprive us(poor us!!!) from reading your work. Please continue to post. - Thanks!

Sujeet said...

I disagree with bharat. Quoting is when you acknowledge the writer. Otherwise its copying. I write a little bit and incidentally wrote a few things about plagiarism in my blog and have had a few incidents related to the same. I kind of understand what you feel and I am definitely possessive of anyone I care for. Especially something that has been woven from the depths of my thoughts and realm of my emotions.. Having said that I still hope you keep writing this blog and display it by invitation and don't shun us all. After all it is because of you I started writing.. Wouldn't be fair if you stopped, now would it ? :-)

Rambler registries said...

agree with sujeet. make it a invite only blog. so some of us can keep reading what you write. Gal! you write too good, so dont stop it for someone.